Thursday 10 February 2011

Learning agreement

The Arts University College at Bournemouth


Synopsis of Study

For this project I will be designing a creative direct mail campaign that will encourage people to become Organ Donors. I would like to use this project to explore a more creative way of stimulating awareness of social issues. Organ donation for example is often an area that is difficult to approach which has resulted in low donation rates. In my opinion, it’s good for Designers to think about social issues and ways of improving or resolving situations with the help of design.
My body of work will consist of a direct mail project that will encourage people to become donors. In doing so, I would be aiming the campaign at a younger audience as I feel this is the age group that is harder to target. I will be approaching this issue in an original and slightly subversive way, but making sure that I get my message across.
During my initial stages of researching, I have been alerted to the fact that there is a high percentage of people that claim that they wouldn’t mind signing up to be an organ donor but just don’t get round to it. I will be looking at ways of addressing this problem and will look at ways of increasing the number of Organ Donors.
My research will include looking at other organ donation campaigns as well as researching the NHS Donor programme. I will also be looking at other design groups that have created campaigns to improve social awareness that have been successful
I will be conducting market research through an online survey as I feel that this will allow me to gain a better understanding of my audience and in consequence, the best ways to resolve this project.
Other research will include looking at other direct mail campaigns to gain a deeper understanding of the methods they use to approach specific problems and target different audiences. I will also look at packaging design as I will be using similar design principles.
In terms of visuals, my aim is to use simple and impactful designs that will appeal mainly to a younger audience. I hope to create a direct mailer that is innovative and is appealing to the eye.

Aims: 
·         I will consolidate my creativity and practical skills in response to a simulated professional brief.
·         I will develop my creativity, knowledge and understanding of professional practice.
·         I will develop and produce a professional standard of creative work in response to a simulated brief.
·         This project will prepare me for further studies.

Learning outcomes:
I will demonstrate a professional standard of creativity and practical ability, including:
·         Work that is technically comparable to that made within a specific genre.
·         Work that shows an awareness of contemporary trends, styles and subject matter, within commercial contexts.
·         Work that shows a high degree of creativity and aesthetic judgement.
I will demonstrate a professional ability to plan my time and work, including:
·         Project time and planning.
·         Working successfully with others in the production of creative outcomes.
I will respond appropriately to the demands of a professional/self initiated brief, including:
·         Appropriate creative outcomes to industry/work related briefs.
I will demonstrate readiness for further study with confidence in the level of my creative, practical and professional knowledge and skills.

Assessment requirement:
I would like my body of work to be assessed at 100%.


Assessment Criteria:

·         Evidence of understanding through synthesis and development - Research used to inform design decisions and communicate ideas.

·         Evidence of knowledge of concepts and contexts – Project work that shows creative maturity and direction within a commercial context.

·         Evidence of understanding through research and analysis.  Extensive research, and the application of it, used for the underpinning and final conclusion of project work.

·         Evidence of understanding through critical evaluation and reflection – The objectives of the research have clearly been identified and used to inform the project work.

·         Evidence of knowledge of technical processes – Knowledge of suitable hardware and software required for the planned project.

·         Evidence of realization through presentation –Work is placed within a commercial context and appropriate methods of presentation used.

·         Evidence of realization through technical application and skills – A synthesis of creativity and professionalism is demonstrated in the conclusion of the project work.

·         Evidence of realization through communication of ideas – Presentation of learning agreement and finished project.

Transferable skills: 

·         I will demonstrate Verbal, Visual and Written skills throughout my project.

·         I will take advice from or interview other creative companies if necessary.

·         I will demonstrate good research skills and will use that to strengthen my work.

·         I will explore other directions in order to resolve a design problem and be flexible to adapt to change if necessary.

·         I will carefully reflect on my work throughout the project and be honest in evaluating it.

·         I will attend tutorials and workshops when they are timetabled.

·         I will set myself a timetable to make sure I am keeping with the deadline.

·         I will carefully reflect on the decisions I make throughout the project.

·         In order to solve problems I will undertake a further research using books and the Internet and seek advice from tutors and peers.

·         I am aware of ethical, social and cultural issues appropriate to the concept of a responsible practitioner
 
·         I believe this will have a more exciting and original outcome and will allow me to be more creative, as well as developing my knowledge on the subject.

References:
·         Social awareness in Graphic Design – www.gd391.ointeractive.net 
·         Project 7 - www.shop.project7.com
·         NHS Organ Donation - www.uktransplant.org.uk
·         AIGA - www.aiga.org
·         Noble, I. And Bestley, R. (2005) Visual Research: An introduction to Research Methodologies in Graphic Design
·         McAlhone, B. And Stuart, D. (1998) A Smile in the Mind: Witty Thinking in Graphic Design
Creative Review

No comments:

Post a Comment